A sinking porch is more than just an eyesore. The uneven slope can lead to trips and falls, especially for elderly visitors.
Porches sink for several reasons, such as soil erosion and settling. If ignored, these can lead to severe damage and costly repairs.
Ohio Basement Authority, with its advanced technology and specialized services, offers the ideal solutions for all your sinking porch concerns. We leverage our state-of-the-art SettleStop™ PolyRenewal™ concrete lifting method to address these issues efficiently, ensuring the longevity and safety of your porch and home.
This page provides valuable insight into common concrete problems like a sinking porch and why professional repair is the key to long-lasting protection.
What Is a Sinking Porch?
A sinking porch is a common problem characterized by the visible settling or lowering of the porch compared to its original position.
This phenomenon usually occurs due to underlying soil or foundation stability issues, which can lead to the development of cracks, tilting, and misalignment in the porch’s structure. Not only is it aesthetically unpleasing, but it also poses safety risks, such as tripping.
A sinking porch can accompany other concrete problems, such as:
- Cracked concrete
- Sinking steps
- Sinking concrete slab
- Cracked sidewalks
- Cracked driveway
- Cracked pool deck
- Concrete pitting, flaking, and staining
These problems require immediate attention and professional intervention to prevent further damage and maintain the structural integrity of the home. Contact Ohio Basement Authority when you notice any of these issues.
Why Your Home Has a Sinking Porch
There are several causes of a sinking concrete porch, including:
- Soil Settlement: Over time, the soil under one part of the porch naturally compacts, while the ground under another area remains firm. Uneven settling is a major contributor to many sinking porches.
- Soil Erosion: Water flowing under the porch can erode the soil, causing one section to sink. Downspouts directing rainwater too close to the porch exacerbate erosion.
- Excessive Rain or Flooding: A flood can wash away soil under a section of the porch, causing it to sink.
- Freeze-thaw Cycles: Repeated freezing and thawing of the ground—especially in expansive soils—under uneven areas of the porch can cause it to sink.
- Tree Roots: Trees soaking up moisture from the soil near a porch’s foundation can lead to limited settling on one side. Roots shift the soil and can exert pressure on the porch, compromising support.
- Poor Concrete Pouring/Curing: Improper concrete pouring or curing during construction can create vulnerabilities, and over time, the concrete can crack, shift, or sink due to inadequate support.
Ignoring these issues can escalate the damage, affecting the porch and the home’s foundation, requiring extensive and expensive repairs. Swift action is key to lasting repairs and protection.
Can You Fix a Sinking Porch?
Yes, fixing a sinking porch is absolutely possible.
However, addressing this issue requires a comprehensive approach to home repair. A meticulous inspection and a whole-home solution are crucial to ensure the underlying causes are addressed effectively.
A piecemeal approach might offer temporary relief but won’t provide long-term stability and safety. We do not recommend DIY repairs or other methods like mudjacking.
Ohio Basement Authority uses a proven proprietary solution that addresses the root cause, whether it’s eroding soil, tree root damage, or another issue. Our PolyRenewal™ polyurethane injections are designed to lift a sinking concrete porch gently and precisely for lasting support.
Depending on the extent of damage and your home’s foundation type, we may also employ foundation repair solutions such as foundation piers.
How to Fix a Sinking Porch
Ohio Basement Authority’s exclusive PolyRenewal™ system can gently raise and stabilize your concrete without complete replacement. Here’s how it works:
- Our team performs an inspection to pinpoint what’s causing damage and plan the repair.
- Tiny, penny-sized holes are drilled into the sunken sections of the concrete.
- Custom valves are inserted into the holes to inject foam underneath.
- We mix together two proprietary polyurethane foam components.
- This foam is pumped below through the valves, expanding rapidly.
- The high-density foam hardens within 15 minutes, lifting the slab as it solidifies.
- The valves are removed, and the holes are patched.
- All cracks are sealed to prevent future water issues.
- Regular maintenance maximizes the longevity of repairs.
PolyRenewal™ lifts concrete accurately without major demolition. Our customized foam solution repairs sinking porches superiorly compared to basic mudjacking. Contact Ohio Basement Authority to schedule your free inspection and discuss this innovative process.
Why Address a Sinking Porch Now
There are numerous reasons to repair a sinking porch promptly:
- Immediate Safety: A sinking, sloped porch is a safety hazard, especially for older visitors and anyone with mobility issues. Lifting it removes the trip risk.
- Prevent Further Damage: Leaving the porch uneven leads to accelerated cracks and deterioration as the settled section takes on more weight. Early intervention can prevent extensive damage and costly repairs.
- Avoid Water Intrusion: If damage causes the porch to slope back towards the house, water can damage the siding of the house and leak into your home. Water should run off the porch to the front.
- Maintain Property Value: Eliminate the eyesore and improve the aesthetics of your home’s entrance. Addressing the issue helps maintain property value.
- Protect Your Foundation: The causes of a sinking porch—like soil erosion—often impact your home’s foundation, too. Promptly and properly repairing your porch helps protect your foundation.
- Improve Function: A sloped porch loses functionality. Concrete lifting and other repairs make your porch usable again.
Ohio Basement Authority’s proprietary solutions for sinking porches provide a complete and lasting solution, using superior products that surpass the quality of those offered by big box stores or other companies.
Contact Ohio Basement Authority for Reliable Concrete Lifting Solutions
Your porch’s sloped appearance is more than a cosmetic nuisance. Entrust your porch and home to Ohio Basement Authority for top-notch concrete lifting solutions. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation inspection and say goodbye to your sinking porch worries.
Homeowners throughout Central and Southern Ohio have trusted us to repair and protect their homes for 15 years. They know they can count on our time-honored repair methods and customer care. We guarantee reliable, efficient, and long-lasting solutions tailored to your needs.
Typically, sinking porch repair can be completed within a day. Some deciding factors include the severity of the damage, your home’s foundation type, and the chosen solution. For example, your porch may require polyurethane injections and/or foundation piers. Contact Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection and an accurate project timeline.
The price varies depending on the size of the porch, the extent of the damage, and the appropriate solution for your unique situation. Ohio Basement Authority offers free inspections and estimates, transparent pricing, and numerous financing choices. Contact us today to learn more.
Homeowner’s insurance typically does not cover concrete porch repair. Sinking is considered gradual settling damage, which insurance usually excludes. Contact your insurance carrier to review your policy’s specifics. Ohio Basement Authority provides free home inspections, no-obligation estimates, and flexible financing to meet your needs.
Last Modified Date: