Although common, a cracked driveway is a problem homeowners should not ignore. This eyesore affects your home’s aesthetic appeal, but, more importantly, it is a hazard that impacts your property and your family’s safety.
Anyone, especially those with mobility issues, can trip over cracked and uneven driveway slabs. These fissures could also harm your vehicle and your foundation.
Ohio Basement Authority is your trusted partner in addressing this pervasive issue, providing state-of-the-art, reliable concrete lifting solutions that are effective and long-lasting. Our commitment to excellence offers homeowners peace of mind by restoring safety and beauty to their properties.
This page educates you on what causes cracked driveways and how our concrete lifting solutions can expertly fix your driveway.
What Is a Cracked Driveway?
A cracked driveway is a concrete surface that has developed fractures, lines, or breaks over time. These imperfections range from minor, barely visible hairline cracks to more severe, large, and noticeable splits.
A driveway may have a single crack or multiple cracks spread across the concrete. Cracked driveways are unsightly and can present serious safety risks, potentially leading to trips, falls, and injuries.
If your driveway is cracking, your property may also have other damage, including:
- Cracked sidewalks
- Cracked concrete patio
- Sinking porch
- Sinking concrete steps
- Cracked pool deck
- Concrete pitting, flaking, and staining
- Sinking concrete slab
Concrete driveways are susceptible to cracking due to various factors, often necessitating professional inspection and repair services—like those offered by Ohio Basement Authority—to mitigate any safety hazards and prevent further damage. Contact us immediately when you notice any of these problems.
What Causes Driveway Cracks?
There are several potential causes for cracked concrete driveways, including:
- Soil Problems: Settling or eroding soil underneath the driveway causes uneven stress and cracking.
- Trees: Tree roots growing under or near the driveway exert upward pressure and create cracks.
- Precipitation: Excessive rain or flooding that erodes and undermines soil.
- Other Weather Issues: Freeze-thaw cycles allow water to seep into cracks and expand when frozen. Concrete also undergoes normal expansion and contraction over time as temperatures fluctuate.
- Construction Issues: Poor concrete pouring or curing during original construction makes concrete driveways susceptible to damage.
- Heavy Vehicles: From compact cars to full-size pickup trucks, vehicles are heavy items weighing thousands of pounds. This strains concrete driveways and the underlying soil over time, leading to cracks and sunken slabs.
These same factors impacting concrete driveways can also affect your home’s foundation, making it imperative to address these issues promptly with a specialist like Ohio Basement Authority, who can offer the most effective solutions.
Can You Fix a Cracked Driveway?
Yes, cracked concrete driveways can be repaired and restored to like-new condition. However, it’s important to be aware that cracking progresses and expands, it can limit the repair options once it is so far gone. That’s why it’s important to have your driveway professionally inspected and repaired as soon as you notice a problem.
Truly fixing them requires more than just sealing the cracks with caulk or concrete filler, using traditional mudjacking techniques, or re-pouring concrete. Those are temporary solutions at best.
To properly repair cracks and uneven areas, root causes like unstable soil need to be addressed. The ideal solution is concrete lifting, which raises sunken sections and stabilizes the driveway. Ohio Basement Authority offers specialized solutions to provide long-lasting results, ensuring every repair is done right.
How to Fix a Cracked Driveway
Ohio Basement Authority’s certified concrete driveway repair process involves several key steps:
- Complete an initial inspection, identify the cause, and determine appropriate repair solutions like SettleStop™ PolyRenewal™.
- Drill small, penny-sized holes into affected driveway areas.
- Place injection ports in the holes.
- Mix together a two-part, closed-cell polymer foam.
- Inject foam under driveway slabs.
- The foam expands, filling any voids, and cures within 15 minutes.
- The slab lifts and the soil is stabilized.
- Remove injection ports and fill and smooth the drilled holes.
- Apply sealant to cracks and joints to prevent further damage.
- Regularly maintain and monitor your concrete driveway.
At Ohio Basement Authority, we utilize our line of advanced products, like PolyRenewal™, personalized to address user-specific issues effectively, outperforming solutions from competitors. This proprietary polyurethane foam solution is designed to lift concrete quickly and precisely. PolyRenewal™ repairs last longer than mudjacking and cause less disruption than slab replacement.
Why Address Driveway Cracks Now
It’s important to repair cracked concrete driveways promptly for several reasons:
- Further Damage: Addressing cracks early can prevent more severe structural issues.
- Safety: Unaddressed cracks can pose serious safety risks, leading to accidents and injuries. Larger cracks are safety hazards for walking or driving. Narrow cracks can catch heels or bicycle tires.
- Property Value: Maintaining a well-kept driveway enhances curb appeal and property value.
- Repair Costs: The longer you wait, the more work and expense significant repairs entail.
Don’t settle for quick fixes. Our PolyRenewal™ system can restore your driveway to like-new condition. Our concrete lifting solutions are designed to properly stabilize cracking and uneven concrete. Contact Ohio Basement Authority today to schedule your free inspection.
Contact Ohio Basement Authority for Reliable Concrete Lifting Solutions
Don’t let a cracked driveway diminish the safety and appeal of your home. If your concrete driveway is cracked, sunken, or uneven, the concrete specialists at Ohio Basement Authority can help. Contact us today to schedule a free inspection and estimate.
We understand how frustrating cracked driveways can be. That’s why we proudly offer expert, reliable concrete lifting solutions that stand the test of time. Our PolyRenewal™ technology can quickly and precisely lift and stabilize sunken concrete slabs the right way the first time.
Yes, concrete driveways can be resurfaced or refinished to improve their appearance. However, if damage like cracking and unevenness occurs, resurfacing temporarily masks problems that worsen over time.
Any cracking or sinking must be professionally inspected and repaired for long-lasting results. Ohio Basement Authority offers long-lasting polyurethane injections to lift concrete. Contact us today for your free inspection.
Properly installed concrete driveways can last 20 years or longer under normal use. However, it’s common for most driveways to develop minor cracks and flaws at some point.
Ohio Basement Authority specializes in repairing damaged concrete driveways and restoring their longevity with our comprehensive repairs and proprietary PolyRenewal™ process. Contact us today to learn more and book a free inspection.
We tailor our solutions to meet your needs. Variables affecting installation include the extent of damage, type of repair, and amount of product used. Our PolyRenewal™ system can lift sunken concrete sections in as little as 15 minutes. The entire repair process typically takes less than one day. Contact Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection and an accurate project timeline.
Last Modified Date: