You may not be surprised to see cracks along your home’s exterior brickwork, as this is a common issue many homeowners encounter.
Cracked bricks impact more than simply your home’s aesthetics; they signal a potentially serious issue with structural stability. Along with improving their appearance, tackling the root cause of these cracks is crucial to properly repairing and protecting your home.
Our team at Ohio Basement Authority understands the concerns that come with foundation issues, like cracked bricks, because we are homeowners just like you. We’re committed to delivering speedy, efficient, and tailor-made foundation repair solutions to residents throughout Central and Southern Ohio.
After reading this page, you’ll understand how brick cracks form, what they signify, how they can be repaired, and how Ohio Basement Authority permanently resolves cracked brick problems.
What are Cracked Bricks?
Cracks in exterior bricks often follow a stair-step pattern along the mortar lines between the bricks. These cracks range from minor hairline fractures to significant gaps or deteriorating mortar.
Brick cracks often indicate underlying foundation problems in your home.
Additional symptoms that accompany cracked bricks include:
- Cracks in foundation walls
- Sticking windows and doors
- Cracked and leaning chimney
- Drywall cracks
- Drywall nail pops
- Foundation settlement
These problems will not resolve on their own. Quick action is essential to accurately diagnosing and repairing them. Don’t hesitate to contact Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection and estimate upon discovering cracked bricks and similar issues.
Causes of Brick Cracks
Brick cracks arise from conditions that stress your home’s foundation. As the foundation shifts or moves out of alignment, it puts stress on the external brick walls, resulting in cracks.
Key factors that contribute to cracked bricks include:
- Foundation Settlement: A settling or sinking foundation can disturb the even distribution of weight, exerting stress on brick walls. Often, this is due to problematic soils like expansive clay.
- Unstable Soil: As seen here, changes in soil moisture can cause soil to expand or contract, affecting the foundation and causing brick cracks.
- Tree Roots: Certain species of trees with aggressively growing roots can move under your foundation, shift the soil, displace bricks and mortar, and lead to cracks.
Can Cracked Bricks be Fixed?
Absolutely, cracked bricks are repairable. However, repair isn’t merely about patching the mortar lines; the underlying causes must be addressed for a permanent solution. Ohio Basement Authority has years of experience doing just that.
Temporary fixes like crack fillers may be inexpensive and convenient, but they don’t offer a lasting solution. Until the foundational issues are resolved, bricks will continue to experience cracking.
Attempting DIY repairs on your home’s structure may lead to unintended consequences. Trust Ohio Basement Authority for expert guidance.
How to Repair Cracked Bricks: Ohio Basement Authority’s Approach
Ohio Basement Authority offers customized solutions to address the root cause of foundation damage, including:
- Foundation Piers: We offer three pier types tailored to your home’s foundation needs: helical, push, and slab. As seen here, these piers are installed under your home’s foundation until they reach stable soil or bedrock, stabilizing and potentially lifting the foundation.
- Wall Anchors: These are steel anchors attached to the foundation walls and anchored in stable soil, counteracting inward bowing and cracking.
- Steel I-Beams: A specialized beam system can be used on cracking and bowing foundation walls when wall anchors won’t suffice.
- Carbon Fiber Wall Reinforcement: We use epoxy to attach carbon fiber straps to bowing basement walls. Their high tensile strength stabilizes the brick walls.
Every home is unique, with its own challenges and repair needs. Contact us for a free inspection and repair estimate to verify the best solution for your home.
Why Address Brick Cracks Now?
Ignoring seemingly minor brick cracks can lead to more significant problems down the line. Here’s why you should act sooner rather than later:
- Minimize Repair Costs: The faster you address foundation issues, the less costly repairs will be.
- Block Moisture: Cracks can allow water into your basement or crawl space, encouraging mold, rot, and other damage.
- Maintain Property Value: Structural defects like cracked bricks deter potential buyers. Fixing these issues can enhance your home’s value.
Contact Ohio Basement Authority for Cracked Brick Solutions
Don’t let cracked bricks negatively impact your home’s appearance, value, or safety. When you notice this issue, contact Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection and repair estimate.
We have been repairing and protecting home foundations throughout Central and Southern Ohio for nearly 15 years. Our skilled technicians will offer lasting solutions to fix your foundation and stabilize your brick walls. Don’t delay; contact us now!
Horizontal cracks often indicate bowing walls, resulting from excess soil pressure and/or foundation settlement. This signifies structural instability requiring prompt repair. Contact Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection right away.
Look in areas like brick veneers, basement walls, and chimneys. Cracks often start small in places you might overlook. Call Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection and repair estimate and to learn more.
Simply re-mortaring won’t prevent further cracking. Address the underlying foundation issues first, then proceed with re-grouting the bricks. Contact Ohio Basement Authority for a free foundation inspection and repair estimate.
Last Modified Date: