Cracks in drywall may appear to be minor cosmetic issues, so it’s easy for homeowners to overlook them and not give them a second look.
This can lead to disaster, as drywall cracks are often red flags for foundation problems requiring expert attention.
With nearly 15 years of experience, Ohio Basement Authority is your go-to for diagnosing and repairing foundation issues. Homeowners throughout Central and Southern Ohio know they can count on us for excellent customer care and reliable foundation repairs.
By reading this page, you’ll better understand the origins of drywall cracks, how to mend them, and why you should contact Ohio Basement Authority today.
What Are Drywall Cracks?
While drywall is widely used, the material itself is not very durable and easily succumbs to stress, cracking as a result.
Signs of drywall cracks include:
- Diagonal lines stretching from corners of doors or windows towards the ceiling
- Cracks above windows and doors
- Long horizontal or vertical lines along walls and ceilings
- Complex web-like cracks on walls and ceilings
- Accompanying drywall nail pops
Even minor cracks can be a warning of foundation issues. The larger the cracks, the higher the likelihood of significant foundation damage.
What Causes Drywall Cracks?
There are several sources of drywall cracks. Some of the most common causes include:
- Settling and Soil Movement: Homes naturally settle due to soil compression. However, excessive or irregular settling due to expansive soil or soil erosion can lead to cracks in the foundation and the drywall.
- Structural Issues: Foundation problems like sinking footings or cracked slabs also lead to drywall cracking.
- Renovations: Adding weight, like constructing an addition or installing heavy flooring, can destabilize foundations.
- Water Damage: Leaks from plumbing, gutters, and other sources can erode soil and weaken foundations.
- Inferior Materials: Drywall can sometimes be cheaply constructed or made with inappropriate materials.
Because your walls can’t talk, drywall cracks mean your home is letting you know something is wrong. Brushing off these signs jeopardizes the structural integrity of your home.
Can Drywall Cracks Be Fixed?
Drywall cracks are not beyond repair. They are simple enough to patch on your own, but this cosmetic fix won’t last forever.
Without addressing the root cause of the cracks, the problem only continues and worsens. Small cracks may reappear if underlying foundation problems are not addressed.
For lasting solutions, tackling the problem at the source is crucial.
If you are concerned about drywall cracks, here’s what you can do:
- For minor cracks, patch and paint to improve their appearance temporarily.
- For major cracks, repair the foundation and manage the water before replacing the damaged drywall.
How Ohio Basement Authority Can Help
Our experts at Ohio Basement Authority offer personalized solutions using proven repair techniques, such as:
- Foundation Piers: Steel foundation piers (helical, push, or slab) are driven deep into the ground for stable support.
- Moisture Management: Basement waterproofing systems, including interior drainage and sump pumps, are installed to control the amount of moisture in and around your home.
- Crawl Space Encapsulation: We control moisture with waterproofing and encapsulation with a vapor barrier if your home has a crawl space rather than a basement.
- Crawl Space Stabilization: Sagging floors and crawl space floor joists are permanently reinforced and can be lifted with crawl space support jacks.
Our treatments stabilize foundations, preventing the return of drywall cracks. We also offer robust warranties on our products.
Why Repair Drywall Cracks Now?
No good can come from delaying drywall crack repair. Here are some reasons why it’s vital to fix cracking drywall sooner rather than later:
- Cracks can worsen and signify underlying structural instability.
- Delays in repair result in more expensive foundation repairs later.
- Moisture intrusion through cracks accelerates foundation decay.
- Unaddressed cracks negatively affect home value and aesthetics.
Choose Ohio Basement Authority for Foundation Stabilization Today!
Drywall cracks impact your home’s aesthetics, safety, and structural integrity. Secure your home today by contacting Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection and quote. We provide fast, enduring solutions to prevent further damage to your home.
Surface cracks are cosmetic and affect only the drywall’s outer layer, while structural cracks are more profound and usually result from foundation problems. Contact Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection and estimate and to learn more about drywall cracks and their origins.
Simple patching is fairly inexpensive, but this does not resolve underlying foundation issues. Call Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection, a detailed quote, transparent pricing, and financing options.
While patching drywall cracks can be quickly executed, it is not a lasting solution. Foundation repairs and other solutions ensure drywall cracks won’t return. These projects can take one to two days, depending on the severity of the damage and the type of solution used.
Last Modified Date: