If gaps are forming between your walls and floors, your foundation may be compromised. Such gaps are not just eyesores; they can escalate into significant structural concerns if not addressed.
You can’t just patch or fill the gap and call it a day. This issue must be fixed the right way the first time. Ohio Basement Authority does just that.
Serving Central and Southern Ohio for almost 15 years, Ohio Basement Authority specializes in identifying and fixing foundation issues like floor gaps. You can rest assured that our quality foundation repair solutions tackle the source of the problem, so you won’t have to worry about it again.
By reading this page, you’ll learn the causes and problems associated with floor gaps and how we address them with permanent solutions.
What Are Floor Gaps?
Floor and wall gaps are visible spaces or crevices that emerge between the floor and walls of your home. These gaps often begin small but can widen as the foundational issue intensifies.
Ignoring floor gaps is a risky move. They’re a red flag that your foundation is distressed and may not be supporting your home’s structure adequately.
Signs of foundation damage often accompanying floor and wall gaps include:
- Uneven floors
- Drywall cracks
- Drywall nail pops
- Foundation wall cracks
- Sticking windows and doors
- Chimney cracks and leaning
These problems worsen with time, so addressing them as soon as possible is crucial. We offer innovative solutions to permanently rectify floor gaps and other foundation damage. Contact Ohio Basement Authority at the first sign of trouble.
What Causes Floor and Wall Gaps?
Several factors can cause the floors in your home to detach from the walls:
- Damaged Floor Joists: If your house is built over a crawl space and is suffering from issues like over spanning floor joists or moisture-related damage like wood rot, sagging can occur, as you can see here. This leads to noticeable floor and wall gaps.
- Foundation Settlement: The most prevalent issue is foundation settlement. When the soil beneath your home loses its evenness, it fails to adequately support the foundation. This causes the foundation to settle unevenly, leading to cracks and gaps.
- Expansive Soils: Soils like clay can expand and contract with moisture levels, causing fluctuations in foundation stability and, consequently, floor and wall gaps.
Can You Fix Floor Gaps?
Absolutely, floor gaps can be fixed. However, the solutions depend on the root cause. Filling the gaps without tackling the underlying foundation issues provides only a temporary cover-up.
How to Fix Floor Gaps
Our experts conduct a thorough inspection to determine the origin of your floor and wall gaps. We then employ advanced methods like:
- Foundation Piers: We use specialized foundation piers to shift the weight of your home to more stable soil, potentially lifting the foundation to close gaps. We offer three pier types: helical, slab, and push, which can be seen here.
- Crawl Space Supports: Adjustable supports are placed under failing crawl space floor joists to provide long-lasting support and potential elevation.
Ohio Basement Authority has the expertise to choose the most effective solutions for your home.
Why Address Floor and Wall Gaps Now?
Acting promptly to fix floor and wall gaps is crucial for several reasons:
- Prevent Further Damage: Ignoring gaps can lead to catastrophic structural issues like collapsing walls.
- Cost Efficiency: Quick action can prevent more expensive repairs in the future.
- Avoid Additional Risks: Open gaps make your home susceptible to moisture and pest intrusion.
- Comfort and Energy Costs: Gaps can lead to drafts and increased energy bills.
- Protect Property Value: Neglecting to address foundation issues reduces your home’s value.
Choose Ohio Basement Authority for Floor Gap Repair
Floor gaps make your home look unappealing, detract from its value, and endanger your family’s safety. If you notice gaps developing between your walls and floors, don’t delay repairs. Contact Ohio Basement Authority for specialized and reliable solutions.
We provide free inspections, affordable financing options, reliable repairs, comprehensive warranties, and exceptional customer care. Our experts will thoroughly evaluate your home, explain the optimal solutions, and help you find a budget-friendly payment plan.
Expanding gaps, sticking doors and windows, drywall cracks, and uneven floors indicate worsening conditions. A professional evaluation is advised. Contact Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection and repair estimate.
No, applying caulk or foam to fill gaps does not solve the underlying problem. For permanent solutions, trust Ohio Basement Authority for your home’s structural foundation repairs.
Minor gaps typically take 1-2 days to fix once a plan is set. However, the project duration depends on the severity of damage and the required repair type. Contact Ohio Basement Authority for a free inspection, repair estimate, and project timeline.
Last Modified Date: